Today we are visiting with VintageCarolina.
1. How’d you get started on Etsy?
I opened my shop about 2 years ago. I sell vintage items and supplies in particular. I have lots of vintage laces and other sewing notions and trims. Many years ago I had a vintage clothing shop and got interested in vintage linens and laces so have collected for a long time.
2. What was your inspiration for your shop?
I have sold antiques on and off for years as I have always been a collector. If you collect you frequently change your focus or favorite items to collect so you are always destashing your old collections to help fund your new collections.
3. What’s your favorite shop item and why?
One of my favorite items is the collections of library card catalog cards that I sell. I was really fortunate to get ahold of these. I have always loved libraries and books in general.
4. How do you unwind when you’re not creating?
I just love to read. My hubby and I like to crab and catch shrimp. It’s great fun to bring it home and have fresh seafood for dinner!
5. What’s your favorite kind of cupcake?
Fresh coconut, can’t be beat!
6. What pushes you to want to create something?
I love to sew and make things from vintage linens. When I see something really clever I always think to myself, “I can make that!” and I don’t want to quit until I do!
7. What’s your favorite cartoon as a kid. As an adult, if you stumble upon it while channel surfing now would you stop & watch?
Now this is going to show my age…not cartoons but I loved to watch the “Little Rascals”. Today, that is considered politically incorrect but I would definitely love to see them again and hear Alfalfa sing to Darla, “The object of my affection, can change my complection from white to rosie red…”
8. What’s your fantasy job?
I would love to get paid to travel and write reviews of restaurants and tourist destinations. Now that is the perfect job, getting paid to eat good food!
9. Do you have a secret guilty pleasure?
A Mounds candy bar…the combination of coconut and dark chocolate, yum!
10. List 3 things you are so obsessed with it is torture to ever say no to.
I am an ephemera fiend! I love any and all old paper, illustrations and books. I can’t pass a box of old letters and books by.
I have never said no to a fresh coconut cake in my life and I never will, don’t care if I get as big as a barn.
Handmade lace and old linens, I have tons but I can’t quit buying it. I am amazed by the hours it took for some of these items to be created.
11. List 3 of your favorite Etsy shops.
SassyBelleWares – Sassy has been such a great supporter of new Etsy members that you just have to love her!
CarDon is a great jewelry supplier who has also been very supportive of other etsians.
FiberPuppy – love her handmade felted items, she does such beautiful work.
12. Do you have a favorite author? When you read, do you use a proper bookmark, bend the page, or grab anything handy to mark your place?
Can’t say that I have a favorite author but I do have some favorite books. Among those are: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith,
Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier and
Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter, I’m also a fan of Dickens. Most of the time I just grab up a mystery or detective story for a quick read.
I can never find a book mark so I just grab up whatever piece of paper is handy. I would absolutely never bend down a page corner, I love books too much.
13. If money was no object and you can live wherever you want….where would that be? Well, I feel pretty fortunate to have a home in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, hard to beat that. I will say that I have loved traveling in the south of France, I could enjoy living in a small French village, there is no bad food in France!
(gee, I’m beginning to notice a food theme in all my responses…)
14. What is your best childhood memory?
I had such a happy childhood. I particularly loved our family trips to Louisiana to visit relatives. Thinking back on my summers in the deep South, it is hard to explain what that was like in the 50s…a wonderful world, Dixieland.
- Friday Feature: Simply Clutch (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Featured Etsy Shop: Tulane Vintage (haileyshandmedowns.wordpress.com)
- Vintage Cabinet Styles: Collectors, Apothecary, Dentists (apartmenttherapy.com)