1. How’d you get started on Etsy?
I was a buyer on Etsy for years (more than two!)… eventually, I began looking at the gorgeous components of the jewelry I admired (lampwork beads, Czech beads)… and a bead addiction led to a beading addiction, which led to a desire to sell my stuff.
2. What was your inspiration for your shop?
Two sources: My 8 year old son saying “mom, your jewelry looks professional. You should try selling it!” … and a real desire to “offer back” to the Etsy community.
3. What’s your favorite shop item and why?
My Grinchy Hooks. Because they’re cute and a little ugly and asymmetrical, and really do look like a Seuss creation. And they’re functional! They are supporting little ornaments all around my house!
4. How do you unwind when you’re not creating?
I read mysteries, practice Tai Chi, hang out with my husband and son, and take care of our ten pets (six of them are hissing Madagascan cockroaches!) (Ed. note: Those are so cool!)
5. What’s your favorite kind of cupcake?
ANY kind! (But I’ll probably take the one with chocolate frosting)
6. What pushes you to want to create something?
I absolutely love the feeling of the beads and thread becoming a little woven tapestry – even if it’s just a two-row, thin necklace, it’s like magic every time! More recently, I love working a boring thin piece of wire into a graceful shape and hammering new life and strength into it.
7. What’s your favorite cartoon as a kid. As an adult, if you stumble upon it while channel surfing now would you stop & watch?
I’d have to say the Peanuts! And yes, I would still stop and watch, and grab my son and drag him over to watch with me!
8. What’s your fantasy job?
Running a second-hand bookstore / coffee shop! And as long as we’re fantasizing, let’s go ahead and add a section for handmade jewelry over by the coffee bar!
9. Do you have a secret guilty pleasure?
Shopping for supplies on Etsy…. It’s ridiculous!!!
10. List 3 things you are so obsessed with it is torture to ever say no to.
– Browsing through bookstores
– Hangin out with my family
11. List 3 of your favorite Etsy shops.
I was looking forward to answering this, and now I can’t! There are too many shops I love!
12. Do you have a favorite author? When you read, do you use a proper bookmark, bend the page, or grab anything handy to mark your place?
Eliot Pattison / bend the page corner (sorry!)
12. If money was no object and you can live wherever you want….where would that be?
Currently, I’d stay where I am, because my son is so happy growing up here. After he finds his own home, my husband and I are dreaming about moving to Albuquerque or Denver… or San Francisco…
13. What is your best childhood memory?
Summers spent on my grandparents’ farm near Halifax Virginia.
- Friday Feature: MegsCrochetJewels (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: AddSomeStitches (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: Do Bats Eat Cats? (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: Baublesforbellas (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)