Featuring GrapeVineCeramics this Friday.
1. How’d you get started on Etsy?
We’ve had the ceramic business for a while when we began experiencing some issues with an illness in the family and scheduling problems with high school sports. We just couldn’t do the ten craft shows a year and we thought that Etsy might be the way to participate in a virtual craft fair.
2. What was your inspiration for your shop?
I take a lot of inspiration from my surroundings in western Kansas, especially on our current items featuring sunflowers.
3. What’s your favorite shop item and why?
I’d have to say anything we offer with sunflowers, because they are each original. We use a lot of molds but these are altered in the leather state, so my husband and I get to show our creativity.
4. How do you unwind when you’re not creating?
When the weather is good, you’ll find me on the back of my husband’s motorcycle. There are times that I live for afternoon road trips, where my husband and I can just visit and talk things through with limited distractions. Otherwise, hand me a good book.
5. What’s your favorite kind of cupcake?
My favorite kind of cupcake would be dark chocolate with a whipped topping and nuts.
6. What pushes you to want to create something?
I need a release. This business started when my kids were young and I needed a way to unwind. It was my quiet time. Now that they are teenagers I still find myself looking for a creative outlet.
7. What’s your favorite cartoon as a kid. As an adult, if you stumble upon it while channel surfing now would you stop & watch?
Josey and the Pussycats – As for stumbling upon it, we gave up cable over ten years ago as a way to save money, and have never missed it enough to get it back, so I’m doubtful I’ll ever see it on public access. I’d watch it if I stumbled upon it though.
8. What’s your fantasy job?
Having a full-time studio where others could come and create alongside me. All medias would be welcome, as I always like to try new things.
9. Do you have a secret guilty pleasure?
Not that I’d want to share. It wouldn’t be a secret anymore.
10. List 3 things you are so obsessed with it is torture to ever say no to.
I’ll have to get back to you on that.
12. Do you have a favorite author? When you read, do you use a proper bookmark, bend the page, or grab anything handy to mark your place?
My favorite author changes depending on the mood I’m in. I read anything from historical romance to crime novels, and I can’t forget the Harry Potter series. So right now the author of the day would be JK Rowling or Dan Brown for a fast read and I use whatever is handy to mark my place.
13. If money was no object and you can live wherever you want….where would that be?
Scotland if I were to go overseas otherwise I’ve always joked about living on the Colorado-Utah border. The idea of having the rockies on one side and a desert on the other has always appealed to me.
14. What is your best childhood memory?
Going with my grandfather to see the man that was called “Mr. Christmas” in our area. He took old toys and refurbished them for less fortunate children in the area. He had a doll city in his front yard, there was a school house, church and court house. Everytime we went to visit, I left with a “new” toy.
- Friday Feature: Siobhan76 (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: MegsCrochetJewels (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: A Treasury (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Friday Feature: Do Bats Eat Cats? (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)